Mr. Mandell is a former federal and state prosecutor. He focuses on litigation involving intellectual property, entertainment, white collar criminal defense, real estate, and insurance fraud. Before entering private practice, Mr. Mandell prosecuted major felony offenses at the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of California, in the heart of Silicon Valley, and served as a state prosecutor in Lake County, Illinois. He has first-chaired numerous bench and jury trials throughout his career. Mr. Mandell has significant experience handling litigation involving the First Amendment, right of publicity issues, trade secret misappropriation, copyright infringement, trademark infringement, unfair competition, false advertising, and complex contractual disputes. In addition, he regularly represents clients in matters involving antitrust, price fixing, fraud, the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization (RICO) Act, internal investigations, and data security and privacy. A graduate of the University of Michigan Law School (J.D.) and the University of Wisconsin – Madison (B.S.), he is admitted to practice law in California and Illinois.
Intellectual Property, Technology, and Related Litigation:
- ▪ Defended international fashion company against actress Halle Berry in right of publicity action.
- ▪ Defended national movie theater developer against actors Liam Neeson and Bradley Cooper in right of publicity action.
- ▪ Defended start-up technology company in trade secret and copyright action involving allegedly misappropriated software.
- ▪ Counseled and defended national clothing retailer in connection with numerous copyright, patent, and trademark infringement lawsuits.
- ▪ Represented provider of high-end data security services in prosecuting claims arising from shareholder dispute.
- ▪ Defended supplier of memorabilia and collectables against television production company in copyright infringement action.
- ▪ Defended sports licensing agent in class action suit brought by putative class of 60,000 former college athletes who claimed that video game manufacturer and national interscholastic athletic association violated their right of publicity in connection with collegiate football and basketball video games produced by manufacturer.
- ▪ Defended accounting firm in defamation and breach of contract action by successfully obtaining a unanimous jury verdict and dismissal of Plaintiff’s entire case.
Complex Litigation, Investigations, Insurance Fraud, and White Collar Defense:
- ▪ Represented insurance clients in the investigation and prosecution of perpetrators of large-scale insurance fraud in the healthcare and auto repair industries and in the wake of significant natural disasters.
- ▪ Defended one of California’s largest providers of utilization review services against provider of electrotherapeutic medical devices in antitrust and civil RICO action.
- ▪ Defended industrial manufacturing company in antitrust, price fixing, and civil RICO action.
- ▪ Represented international celebrity in prosecution of fraud and breach of contract claims relating to complex movie and television deals.
- Counseled business and charitable entities in connection with data breach incidents.